Python evolution: Unease

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 5 19:37:01 EST 2005

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote in message
news:10to8qulnc3vke1 at news.supernews.com...
> I would like to contribute some documentation to Python.
> I've got the time, I write quite a bit, etc. I've got fairly
> strong opinions about some things that need to be documented,
> (such as all the new style class descriptor stuff from 2.2)
> and I have relatively little difficulty matching the existing style.

I would love to see the written better and in the manuals.

> However, I don't
> know TEX, Latex, CVS or Sourceforge. (The latter two are
> on my "learn sometime soon so I can put PyFIT where it belongs"
> list.)

Neither do I.

> I have no desire to install Perl to run the documentation toolchain.
> I also have no particular desire to write up a bunch of final
> format stuff and drop it on someone else to put into the latex
> format so it can be included.

Why not?  If someone is willing to do the part that is easier for him
(format pre-written ascii text), why aren't you willing to do the part that
is easier for you (write the text)?

I am asking as someone who has done just that, at least on a micro scale of
occasional sentences in response to bug reports.

Terry J. Reedy