Installer made with bdist_wininst segfaulting...

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Jan 25 10:02:56 EST 2005

Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am seeking advice/help from those with more win32 experience than myself.  I
> am trying to build a proper win32 installer for IPython, after a user did most
> of the hard work.  For the most part, it's working very well, but I am running
> into a nasty problem, which took me a few hours to finally understand.  This
> smells to me like a python  bug, but I could be wrong.  Much googling didn't
> turn up anything relevant.
>
> Here is a brief summary: if the installer file is run from a windows drive which
> is different from the one where python resides (and hence where ipython will
> end up), the installer segfaults.  No traceback, nothing, just a segfault
> (well, one of those Windows dialogs asking me to send a binary traceback to
> Redmond, but not a proper Python traceback).

There are a couple of known bugs in bdist_wininst, and you just reported
another one.  All these bugs are related to using the
post_install_script, and show up when either (thats what I currently
remember):

- the installer is run from a readonly location,
- the installer is run from a different drive (as you reported)
- the installer installs for Python 2.4

I will fix these issues in Python 2.3.5, which will probably be out as a
release candidate this week, and in Python 2.4.1.

I urge everyone to install this release candidate, rebuild the
installer with it, and test them thoroughly.

Thanks,

Thomas