The best way to do web apps with Python?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Jan 9 03:51:31 EST 2005

Steve Holden wrote:
> More ways than you can shake a stick at, but nowadays you should
> consider using WSGI if you want your code to be portable across many
> frameworks. The Web SIG worked very hard last year on defining this
> gateway interface, with the intention that it should become widely
> available, and implementations are available now on environments as
> diverse as mod_python and CherryPy.
>
> You can read about it in Philip Eby's excellent PEP at
>
>   http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0333.html

WSGI isn't really something an application programmer can use; or at
least it's not likely to be a very satisfying experience if they do.
I'm optimistic that at some point most of the actively developed Python
web frameworks we have now will be ported to WSGI.  Ultimately, I think
WSGI should be something a more casual Python web programmer wouldn't
even realize exists.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org