Right place for third party modules (here: fixedpoint)

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Mon Jan 24 10:37:54 EST 2005

Hello,

for the first time since getting Python I can't get a third party module
to work.

I got fixedpoint.0.1.2.tar.gz from SourceForge for use with KinterbasDB.
After unpacking I had a directory called "fixedpoint" which I put under
my site-packages directory. There are no installation instructions and
just the one module fixedpoint.py (and some documentation and examples).

All of this under Windows XP, with Python 2.4.

Now I try to use the module, but

import fixedpoint

says "ImportError: No module named fixedpoint".

I suppose fixedpoint is no package as described in the tutorial and so
"site-packages" might not be the right place for it. But where does it
belong? I think it should go somewhere in the Python directory tree, not
among my own scripts.

Thank you,
Koczian

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.

Tel.: (0821) 598-2400, Fax : (0821) 598-2410
e-mail : Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.DE