Python evolution: Unease

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 14:17:03 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:25:37 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > - IDE: Better than what? Than IDLE? Than Eclipse? Than SPE? Than Pythonwin?
> >
> > I would like to seee Eric3, with some polish & opensourced on Win
> > (which means solving the Qt licensing problem). Perhaps someone could
> > convince Trolltech to release a special Qt Win version just for it
> > (Eric3). Eclipse is also an interesting approach.
>
> I love eric3, but if you're an eclipse fan, look at enthought's
> "envisage" IDE -- it seems to me that it has superb promise.

Hint noted.

> > wish I could simply plug & play DBAPI modules in a totally seamlessly
> > way. Anyone who tried know how far are we of this dream.
>
> If you manage to get there, you'll start fighting against the different
> dialects of SQL supported by the various back-ends, as is well known by
> anybody who tried, say, ODBC or ADO, which do manage good plug&play of
> their components but still can't solve the real hard one:-(

Ian Bicking's SQLObject goes a long way to solve this problem. It's a
ORM, not a complete relational solution, mind you. However, while it's
architecturally oriented towards solving the high-level SQL-to-object
mapping issues, a good deal of time is spent solving things that a
common plug & play API could solve.

IOW: the hard problem really does exist. However, we never come to
face it because we're still stuck in the "easy" one. :-(

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com