Python evolution: Unease

Paul Rubin http
Wed Jan 5 06:52:47 EST 2005

michele.simionato at gmail.com writes:
> Dunno about Fedora, I stopped using Red Hat just because they were
> *not* using the standard Python distribution, and the version they
> shipped was cripped in various ways.

Eh?  I used Red Hat for a long while and don't remember their crippling
the Python distribution.  I do remember their believing the Python
advocates that Python was a stable language, and therefore building
critical features around it, and being unwilling to upgrade between
major Python releases during minor Red Hat release cycles.  The result
was that RH 7.x shipped with Python 1.5.x for quite a long time after
Python 2.x had been released.  However I don't remember anything being
crippled about the 1.5.x installations.