macros (was: RE: generator expressions: performance anomaly?)

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue Jan 18 16:28:53 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:59:07 -0800, Robert Brewer wrote:
> Especially since you can already do it explicitly with Raymond
> Hettinger's cookbook recipe:
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/277940

You know, Guido might as well give in now on the Macro issue. If he
doesn't come up with something himself, apparently we'll just hack
bytecode. I'm not sure that's a gain. (To be fair, I can see some
arguments that it is, so that "I'm not sure" isn't a
passive-aggressive/sarcastic snipe like most people use it in this
context; I mean it literally.)

(I expect if we ever do see them, this will be the basic argument used. I
guess you could call it Historic Inevitably. :-) )

I'm not just basing it on this one thing, I'm basing this on all the
bytecode hacks I've seen.