Securing a future for anonymous functions in Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 7 12:49:01 EST 2005

Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> Yes, I was wondering whether I should add lots of caveats to the above.

I thought that might be the case. When teaching, I guess I can understand the
need to avoid "well, technically, this isn't always true". It sounds like the
students were having a tough enough time of it already :)

> Usually one or two have trouble grasping that "int" would be perfectly
> adequate in this situation.

The ability to pass around functions at run-time was probably the hardest thing
to get my head around when I started with Python, after a history of working in
languages where "the compiler knows about types and functions, and the runtime
knows about variables and instances".

Cheers,
Nick.