Help uninstalling/installing Python 2.4

Baggs darrinbaggs at --spamreallysucks--rogers.com
Fri Jan 7 19:08:15 EST 2005

Guys/Gals

I've messed up my Python 2.4 install.  I'm really new to Python (and
Linux for that matter) and really wanted to try Python out.

I have mandrake 10.1.  The first thing I did was uninstalled via rpm
Python 2.3 and Tkinter 8.3 (I now realize that was a mistake, since I
could have both version installed with no problems).  I then downloaded
Python2.4 ran ./configure make and make install... voila I had Python
installed...

Tk calls did not work, the output from Python when running a program
stated that I probably did not have TK installed.  I got and installed
TK 8.4 and the problem persisted (I know I should have written down the
exact error, but I didn't... but the story gets worse!)

Here is the really stupid part... I figured if I uninstalled and
re-installed everything would be ok.... the bad part is I could not find
an uninstaller for TK or Python, so I just searched and delted the files
and directorys from /usr/local.... when I re-installed I still have
problems.. everything installs ok, but now I get the following errors
with Python...

bash: /usr/bin/python: No such file or directory

The interesting thing is the python executable is in /usr/local/bin

when I go to /usr/local/bin and type ./python I get

Python 2.4 (#6, Jan  7 2005, 18:44:57)
[GCC 3.4.1 (Mandrakelinux 10.1 3.4.1-4mdk)] on linux2
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/etc/pythonrc.py", line 2, in ?
     import readline
ImportError: No module named readline

I think some paths are screwed up.. can someone take pity on me and give
me a hand.

Thanks
Darrin

PS -- if you want to mail me directly remove the --spamreallysucks-- in
my email address.