OT: MoinMoin and Mediawiki?

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Tue Jan 11 15:37:20 EST 2005

Alexander Schremmer schrieb:
> Having a DBMS backend is good in your opinion? It has some severe
> disadvantages like not easy to scale (you would need to setup DBMS
> replication), two potential points of failure, more complex setup, bigger
> memory requirements, etc.

So nobody should use DBMS backends, right? Except those poor guys
who need transactions, consistency rules, indexes, a standard query
language, ... ;)

What do you mean with scaling? If you multiply CPU and RAM by 8, good
DBMS deliver nearly eightfold performance. If you distribute a DBMS on
an 8 computer cluster, the DBMS will scale. If you distribute a DBMS
on 8 arbitrary unrelated computers, you have 8 DBMSs which need to
synchronize their data by replication. Do applications with file based
persistence scale better?

Since files need no setup beyond creation, every setup is complex
compared to files ;) See e.g. the setup of an PostgreSQL DBMS:

./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

The first four lines are the same for every source based distribution,
only 8 lines are PostgreSQL specific. I don't think this is too
complex.