compile python to binary

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jan 24 08:59:03 EST 2005

sam wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>> After all, source code is stored in binary too...
>>
> Sorry for the vagues terms. I meant compile a python script into a
> binary program.

As I said, "binary" is a very ambiguous term, so your
clarification by itself wouldn't have helped.  (That is,
while the defined meaning is fairly precise, many people
use "binary" to mean something different.)

Anyway, the phrase you were actually looking for is
"stand-alone executable".  That's what py2exe and the
like produce, and that's what distinguishes what you want
from, for example, what some suggested in the first place.
(In a Windows-only environment, asking "how do I create
an EXE" would pretty much mean the same thing.)

-Peter