The Industry choice

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 6 19:16:06 EST 2005

"Bulba!" <bulba at bulba.com> wrote in message
news:nocrt0119cncjco13l63l9d5nfeimk5820 at 4ax.com...
> Which I find again wrong: suppose this developer used GPL-ed
> library A, developed patches B and C. He provided you with
> the source code of publicly available library A and a patch
> C, but he doesn't want to release patch B.

Then he does not have to.  As I understand the GPL, as long as he does not
release (distribute) the patch in any form (in particular, binary), then
the GPL has no effect.

What strikes me as funny about GPL sniping is that many programmers,
including I am sure some of the snipers, sign Terms of Employment contracts
far more restrictive of their freedom than one could possibly accuse the
GPL of being.  But I have seen little or no discussion of this (at least on
clp).  In fact, I wonder if the GPL might be a substitute target.

Terry J. Reedy