The Industry choice

Bulba! bulba at bulba.com
Tue Jan 4 13:13:52 EST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:59:53 -0800, "Eric Pederson" <whereU at now.com>
wrote:

>I'm decades behind on economics research, but I remember
>modeling clustering based on mass and distance (the gravity model).
>On a decision making basis there seems to be an aspect of it that is
>binary: (0) either give in to gravity and gain shared advantage as
>part of a massive object, or (1) choose an alternate "location" far
>enough away not to be much affected by the force of the massive
>objects, and try to build "mass" there.  I suspect Python is a (1) in
>that regard, but I may be wrong.

Frankly, I find such models to be built on over-stretched analogies
to physics - how _exactly_ is gravity supposed to be an analogy
equivalent to economic "forces"? Sure such model can be built - but
is it adequate in explaining real-world phenomenons? Analogy
tends to be the weakest form of reasoning. I'd be wary of making
such analogies.

Models like this probably tend to be built by French engineers from
this joke:

The American and French engineers work together on some
product (that would look strange nowadays but it's not impossible
in principle).

The Americans show the French engineers a working prototype.

The French engineers scratch their heads and ask warily:

"OK, it works in practice; but will it work in theory?"

--

Real world is perfectly indifferent to lies that
are the foundation of leftist "thinking".