Zen of Python

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:54:58 EST 2005

[Paul Rubin]
> Huh?  [1,2,[3,4,5],[6,[[[[7]],8]]]] is a perfectly valid Python list.

You're claiming not to know any relevant difference between Python
lists and Lisp lists?  Heh.

> And you can break out of a containing loop from a nested loop
> with try/raise.

Heh heh.  Yes, you can.  I've never seen a real Python program that
did, but there's nothing to stop you.  What did you think the "direct"
in "direct way" might have been intended to mean?

> More troublesome is not being able to see a variable in a
> containing scope from a nested scope, unless the containing
> scope is the global one.  Why bother debating lexical scope for
> years before deciding to add it, only to stop halfway?

I'd call it 80% of the way, but suit yourself.  The debates are all
easily found, if you really want to know.