building Python: up arrow broken on SuSE Linux 8.2

Erik Johnson spam at nospam.org
Thu Jan 27 17:59:45 EST 2005

"Peter Otten" <__peter__ at web.de> wrote...
> Have you ensured (with yast) that readline-devel is actually installed?

I had not previously, but (not surprisingly) version 4.3 is installed. :)

    Good idea - I thought maybe I would be able to do an online update (YOU)
to it, but it is taking forever to get a patch list. I don't understand it,
we have a pretty decent internet connection (DSL).

    I now have the readline version 5.0 library built locally. Can someone
give me some clues about how to get it statically linked?

Thanks,
-ej