rotor replacement

Robin Becker robin at SPAMREMOVEjessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 03:59:10 EST 2005

Peter Maas wrote:
> Paul Rubin schrieb:
>
>>> Wasn't there a default 40-bit version that was ok (weak), but you had
>>> to declare yourself US resident to download 128-bit support?
>>

>> That was years ago.  The regulations changed since then, so they all
>> have 128 bits now.
>

> Perhaps the NSA has found a way to handle 128bit in the meantime.
> But this is unlikely because there is no export regulation to ban
> 512bit as far as I know :)

Apparently factorization based crypto is on the way out anyhow (as an
article in Scientific American is reported to claim).

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=000479CD-F58C-11BE-AD0683414B7F0000&ref=rdf

-can't wait to get my quantum computer-ly yrs-
Robin Becker