Any Python XML Data Binding Utilities Avaiable?

Jan Dries jan.dries at dcube-resource.be
Sat Jan 1 01:46:12 EST 2005

SeSe wrote:
> Hi, every one, happy new year!
>
> I am working on XML with Python. I wonder if there is any XML Schema<->
> Python Object mapping tools so that we can convert one to another.
> Thanks.

You may want to look at generateDS. It can generate Python data
structures from an XML Schema document. It supports only a subset of the
schema spec, but is nonetheless quite useful.
See http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/generateDS.html

There's also minixsv, which does something similar. I've never used it
myself though. See
http://www.leuthe.homepage.t-online.de/minixsv/minixsv_overview.html

The most complete Schema validator in Python is probably XSV. It doesn't
have the ability to generate Python object mappings though.
See http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html

Another extensive schema parser is part of (and well hidden in) the wsdl
toolset from the pywebsvcs project. It does support Python object
mapping generation, but the usefulness of the result is limited outside
the context of web services.
See http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Jan