"A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software"

Paul Rubin http
Fri Jan 7 16:48:41 EST 2005

aurora <aurora00 at gmail.com> writes:
> Just gone though an article via Slashdot titled "The Free Lunch Is
> Over: A  Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software"
> [http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm]. It argues that
> the  continous CPU performance gain we've seen is finally over. And
> that future  gain would primary be in the area of software concurrency
> taking advantage  hyperthreading and multicore architectures.

Well, another gain could be had in making the software less wasteful
of cpu cycles.

I'm a pretty experienced programmer by most people's standards but I
see a lot of systems where I can't for the life of me figure out how
they manage to be so slow.  It might be caused by environmental
pollutants emanating from Redmond.