Python versus Perl ?

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Mon Feb 7 16:19:51 EST 2005

beliavsky at aol.com schrieb:
> His survey of programming languages in "The Art of Unix Programming",
> available at
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/languageschapter.html , is
> interesting (and biased). Raymond evaluates C, C++, Shell, Perl, Tcl,
> Python, Java, and Emacs Lisp.

One part of this survey strikes me:

esr> In fact it's generally thought to be the least efficient and
esr> slowest of the major scripting languages, a price it [Python]
esr> pays for runtime type polymorphism.

If I assume Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl and PHP to be major scripting
languages some benchmarks (http://dada.perl.it/shootout and
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org) show that Python is probably the
fastest among these (Perl is 25% faster at regex matching).