user interface for python

Wed Feb 23 09:33:51 EST 2005

Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Am Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:09:50 -0800 schrieb Raghul:
>>   Which of the UI I can used for my program that I can use both in
>>windows and in Linux.
Several.  Tkinter and wxPython are good choices -- they run on the three
major platforms: Linux/unix, Windows, and Mac OS X.

 > I like pygtk. It should be portable to windows, but I have
 > not tried this yet. Up to now I only used it under linux.
I believe this may be a reasonable choice as well.  Another choice is
PyQt, which has a great simple model and definition, but has, I believe,
licensing issues if you intend to deliver a product to many PCs.

>> Is it possible for me to use Wxpython for my program so that it can
 >> run on both the windows and linux machine?
It is, indeed, possible (and often easy) to have the same program run
well on both platforms.

>> Will it be platform independent?
You can write portable programs (if you test across platforms).   The
only truly portable programs in any language are abstract.  Once you
start dealing with I/O and the real world, you inevitably have to face
issues one circumstance at a time.  Both Tkinter and wxPython spend a
lot of effort in reducing the work you have to do.  Don't fool
yourself with a manager-friendly slogan; programs must be tested to
work.  Any I/O heavy (or threaded, or ....) application running on two
platforms will take more work than on a single platform.  Python and
wxPython or Tkinter, for example, _allow_ you to write portable
programs, but they don't _guarantee_ it.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org