overwriting method in baseclass

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Tue Feb 8 16:35:26 EST 2005

In <Xns95F6BFBF27210cpl19ghumspamgourmet at 195.20.224.116>, Harald Massa
wrote:

> Thanks for that recommendation, I really do use subversion for some time.
> But how can I use it to solve this problem? I do changes to the common
> baseclass which is OUTSIDE my development. I quite correctly assume that
> the developers of the classlib also use Subversion, alas, having no public
> access.
>
> So HOW can SVN be of any use for THIS prob?

Take a look at the Subversion documentation (the "book") and search for
`Vendor branches`.

First paragraph of that section:

  As is especially the case when developing software, the data that you
  maintain under version control is often closely related to, or perhaps
  dependent upon, someone else's data. Generally, the needs of your
  project will dictate that you stay as up-to-date as possible with the
  data provided by that external entity without sacrificing the stability
  of your own project. [...]

The section deals specifically with the situation how to manage 3rd party
source code with subversion which you want to update from time to time and
even apply some modifications.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch