64 bit Python

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Feb 14 17:01:45 EST 2005

Mathias Waack wrote:

>My python script allocates a bunch of strings each of 1024 characters
>and writes it in a cStringIO. And it fails after writing 512K of
>strings. Don't know how python restricts the heap size - but I'm
>fairly sure its not a restriction of the OS.

Does cStringIO require contiguous blocks of memory?  I'm wondering if
maybe there's something going on where you just can't allocate more than
a GB of contiguous space?  What happens if you just store the strings in
a list (or use StringIO instead of cStringIO)?  I'd imagine there might
be problems with creating an individual string of multiple GB as well,
for the same reason.

Just an idea,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher