cx_Oracle failed to load DLL BUT versions correct

Aurelio Martin Massoni amartin at wpsnetwork.com
Wed Feb 9 10:55:02 EST 2005

jmdeschamps wrote:

> Hello
>
> Having cx_Oracle (an Oracle database connector for Python) used it
> here where I teach for the last couple of years, and finding it so
> easy to use (and install) I was taken aback when I got an error
> message telling me it could not load the DLL (complete message below)
>
> Third, I've read (on activeState site) about someone else having this
> problem which seemed to be resolved by correctly installing the
> appropriate versions  of different software piece.
>
> BUT no 1 : I works on my portable (that has the same configuration for
> OS, Python and cx)
>
> BUT no 2:  The same configuration gets the error message from our
> classroom workstations -
> after multiple testing, (uninstalling everything, python, Oracle,
> cx_Oracle,etc) ,  cleaning the registry, re-installing from fresh
> binaries ( Oracle works (SQL+) ) , the error stays...
>
> HELP - Any hints, helps, things to look for, whatnot,
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Jean-Marc
> jmdeschamps at cvm.qc.ca
> Cegep du Vieux-Montreal
>

> CONFIGURATION
> windows XP professionnal, sp2 (firewall stopped)
> installation in administrator mode
> Oracle 10g
> Python 2.3.4
> pywin32-203.win32-py2.3.exe
> cx_Oracle-4.1-win32-10g-py23.exe
>
> NOTE: all files seem in the right places (cx_Oracle.pyd in
> site-packages)
>
> ERROR (taken from PythonWin interactive window)
> PythonWin 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win32.
> Portions Copyright 1994-2004 Mark Hammond (mhammond at skippinet.com.au)
> -
> see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: DLL load failed: La procédure spécifiée est introuvable.

Have you installed any new Oracle software in this machine ? Or maybe,
have you modified the PATH environment variable ?

This error usually means that your cx_Oracle.pyd module needs to load an
Oracle DLL, but it doesn´t find it in the directories specified in the
PATH variable, or it finds a DLL with the same name but different (and
incompatible) version.

Hope this helps

    Aurelio