Need some Python help

Matt Upton matt2 at roffs.com
Thu Feb 24 10:29:55 EST 2005

Hello, I am new to Python and am trying to produce script to run batch
processes for ArcGIS 9.0 (ArcView).  I have upgraded to Phython 2.4 from 2.1
and am using the Pythonwin to try to code but am running into a problem.
Whenever I try to debug my program or run any code past the following code
it gets hung up and crashes, quits, no warning, and no messages.  HELP, what
is the problem, it is getting very frustrating.

>> import win32com.client
>> gp = win32com.client.Dispatch("esriGeoprocessing.GPDispatch.1")
>> gp.workspace = "c:/Program Files/ArcGIS/NASA"

It ALWAYS crashes and quits 30 sec or so after line 2 or 3 of the code
above????  I can't get Python to do anything in ArcGIS so far, none of the
tools can be called or used?

I am assuming there is some sort of path or link that is not working
properly between ArcGIS and Python?

Using the same coding in the IDLE Python environment results in the same
crashing results.

Oh yea, I am running everything on Windows XP.

Thank you.

Matthew Upton