A great Alan Kay quote

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 08:29:02 EST 2005

jfj wrote:
> Bah. My impressions from the interview was "there are no good
> languages anymore. In my time we made great languages, but today
> they all suck. Perl for example...."

That was kind of what I took from it as well. Don't get me wrong, I've
a lot of respect for Kay's contributions...he just doesn't understand
that there's *more* to a language than it's adherence to his ideas of
'best'. His arguments are literally academic.

Decrying contemporary choices for their "pop" nature kinda sounds like
the ugly kid devaluing the importance of the school dance.

It just wasn't fit enough to survive, Alan. Let it go.

- alex23