getting data from a port in use

Dana Marcusanu dmarcusanu at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 22:28:52 EST 2005

Yes. I want to write a very small web sniffer that gets data from a
specified port. I already looked at some of the existing ones on Internet,
but they are not in Python (I am trying to learn Python!) and they have a
lot more features that I want. Thanks for your suggestion. I will check
out pcap library.

Dana

On 2005-02-01, Dana Marcusanu <dmarcus... at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use Python to get the data received at a specific port
(in
> use) on my computer.

What do you mean "in use"? You mean you want to evesdropt on
data that's being sent to an existing connection?  If so,
you'll need to use something like the pcap library.

> I already tried below code which seems to hang at the
> statement accepting connections. I don't know what else I can try. Any
> suggestions will be welcome.

> import socket, select, os

> PORT = 2005
> s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
> s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)
> s.bind((socket.gethostname(), PORT))
> s.listen(1)
> work_socket, addr = s.accept()
> data = s.recv(1024)

No matter what you're trying to do, this isn't right.  Once the
connection has been accepted, you have to read data from the
socket returned by the accept() call.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Actually, what
                                  at               I'd like is a little