For American numbers

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Feb 13 20:56:30 EST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>
>> For the rest of the computer world, unless I've missed
>> a changing of the guard or something, "kilo" is 1024
>> and "mega" is 1024*1024 and so forth...
>

> In case this isn't clear yet: you have missed a changing
> of the guard or something. "kibi" is 1024, "mebi" is
> 1024*1024 and so forth. "kilo" is 1000.

Yeah, saw the link.  The IEC doesn't speak for me, I'm afraid.
And as the wikipedia notes, "As of 2005 this naming convention
has not gained widespread use."

I suspect I and many others will go to our graves not being
comfortable mebbling and gibbling over our bytes, though
we'll probably spend a lot of time kibbling over the issue...

-Peter