lambda closure question

Dirk Thierbach dthierbach at usenet.arcornews.de
Sun Feb 20 09:54:29 EST 2005

Ted Lilley <ted.lilley at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a side note, I'm familiar with the term currying from a friend who
> learned ML and Scheme quite some time ago.  Not sure if that's the true
> origin, but it was a sufficiently different context from Python (or at
> least I thought) that I didn't want to rely on its meaning.  I was also
> sufficiently unsure of it's _exact_ meaning,

The exact meaning is reasonably well explained, together with the
origins, on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currying

That meaning shouldn't change if applied to different computer languages.
I can understand the temptation to confuse partial application with
currying (for languages like Python which take tuples of arguments
by default, currying is one way to make partial application possible;
supplying default arguments is another), but nonetheless they are different
things.

- Dirk