[Fwd: [gnu.org #220719] Re: python and gpl]

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Fri Feb 4 17:06:25 EST 2005

Richard Brodie wrote:

>"Tim Churches" <tchur at optushome.com.au> wrote in message
>news:mailman.1861.1107484943.22381.python-list at python.org...
>

>>1) In Australia and Europe at least, loading program code from disc into memory in
>>order to execute it is not considered as making an infringing copy under copyright law.
>>

>I don't think it's as clear cut as that. Sony won their modchip case in Britain
>for exactly that reason. They lost in Australia and elsewhere in Europe.

In Australia, the following law applies:

***************************

      COPYRIGHT ACT 1968 (as amended by the Copyright Amendment Act
      2000) - SECT 47B

*Reproduction for normal use or study of computer programs*

             (1)   Subject to subsection (2), the copyright
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy>
in a literary work
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#literary_work>
that is a computer program
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47ab.html#computer_program>
is not infringed by the making of a reproduction
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47b.html#reproduction>
of the work
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work>
if:

                     (a)   the reproduction
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47b.html#reproduction>
is incidentally and automatically made as part of the technical process
of running a copy
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy>
of the program for the purposes for which the program was designed; and

                     (b)   the running of the copy
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy>
is done by, or on behalf of, the owner or licensee of the copy
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy>.

             (2)   Subsection (1) does not apply to the making of a
reproduction
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47b.html#reproduction>
of a computer program
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47ab.html#computer_program>:

                     (a)   from an infringing copy
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#infringing_copy>
of the computer
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47ab.html#computer_program>
program
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47ab.html#computer_program>;
or

                     (b)   contrary to an express direction
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s248a.html#direct>
or licence
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s136.html#licence>
given by, or on behalf of, the owner of the copyright
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy>
in the computer program
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47ab.html#computer_program>
to the owner or licensee of the copy
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy>
from which the reproduction
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s47b.html#reproduction>
is made when the owner or licensee of that copy
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy>
acquired it.

Can't get much clearer than that. Furthermore, I see no express
directions or other provisions in the GPL which would invoke section
47(2). Indeed, the GPL says: "The act of running the Program is not
restricted".

Tim C