Building Python with Tcl/Tk on Cygwin_NT-5.1

Kartic kartic.krishnamurthy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 10:46:32 EST 2005

Dean,

It has been quite sometime since I did that. I had installed Tcl/TK in
a non-standard location on my Freebsd box.

So, for Python to compile _tkinter,  in the configure script I passed
the location of the Tcl/Tk includes and libs. So, you will have to find
out where in the Cygwin tree the tcl includes and libraries are
installed.

On my Freebsd box, I did:
CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/tcl/include" \ # that is a - capital i
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/tcl/lib" \
./configure \
.... rest of configure options.

(put this in something like do-conf) and at the prompt type sh do-conf.

OR

you can use the --with-libs='lib1 ...'  option for the configure
script. You will to give the path to your TCL libraries against this
option.

Do a configure --help to see the available configure options with some
help strings.

But like Jason mentioned, why don't you use the stock Python install
that comes with Cygwin; it is tkinter enabled and works just fine?
(unless you have a compelling reason to install from source)
Thanks,
--Kartic