win32 extension install hiccup

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Feb 13 17:39:20 EST 2005

MM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the latest win32all build 202 and tried to install under

> win2000 with Py2.4. Install complains about 'couldn't open py2.4 to
run
> script pywin32-preinstall.py'. I checked the directories and there
was
> no sign of this file (preinstall.py) so I presume this is why it
bombed.

You presume triply incorrectly. (1) The error message explicitly says
it couldn't find the Python executable. (2) The file that Python would
have run is pywin32-preinstall.py, not preinstall.py. (3) You shouldn't
expect to find an install script lying around after an install,
successful or failed, if the installer is cleaning up after itself.

> How do I fix this? Thanks, matthew.

Install Python 2.4 in C:\Python24 and try again.