Persistence design [was: RE: OT: why are LAMP sites slow?]

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Fri Feb 4 19:12:55 EST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:09:46PM -0200, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:46:44 -0500, Jack Diederich <jackdied at jackdied.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd be interested, if only selfishly to hear more potential use cases
> > > for *my* projects. ;)
> >
> > It would be long so I'll spin it into a blog piece.  They seem to be
> > all the rage these days *0.5 wink*
>
> A blog piece of yours truly :-) (call it a blatant plug if you want)
>
> http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com/2004/11/alternative-database-systems.html
<snip, see there for a "see also" URL comment I dropped>

> I'm (slowly) designing a personal CMS that is intended to use
> Subversion as its backend, for both blog & wiki style entries. It's
> filesystem based, fast (the website can use the working copy for
> nearly everything) and allows for versioning - something that its
> difficult to implement properly with low-end RDBMSs. It looks
> promising :-)

If you are on linux you can mount SVN repositories as filesystems.
It only displays the most recent version of a file (and requires the
alpha version of Apache) but that would be a fine and simple way to
have Apache serve versioned things.  Any time an article is edited or
added just write the file and Apache will serve it as static, blissfully
unaware the older versions exist.  Later when you add functionality to
diff entries access the same repository with subversion tools.

-Jack