win32 service and sockets

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Feb 9 13:48:10 EST 2005

Tom Brown <brown at esteem.com> writes:

> Well, I have found that it works if I launch the client on the same
> machine as the service. It will not work from a remote machine. Any
> ideas?

Sounds like it might be an issue at the network layer rather than in
your code - perhaps a routing or filtering problem between your two
machines.  Have you verified that you do in fact have network
connectivity between the machines (such as with ping), and that you
can reach your server's port from the client (perhaps try telnetting
to the port).

Since you mentioned Xp, could any of it's built-in firewall support be
enabled, and perhaps blocking access to your server's port?

-- David