Next step after pychecker

huy nytimes at swiftdsl.com.au
Tue Feb 1 05:47:30 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Philippe Fremy <phil at freehackers.org> writes:
>
>>I would like to develop a tool that goes one step further than
>>pychecker to ensure python program validity. The idea would be to get
>>close to what people get on ocaml: a static verification of all types
>>of the program, without any kind of variable declaration. This would
>>definitely brings a lot of power to python.
>

> You know, I've always thought that ML-style type inference is an
> impressive technical feat, but why is it so important to not use
> declarations?  This is an aspect I've never really understood.

You know, I think I agree ;-). Just because you don't declare the types,
doesn't mean you can change the implicit type willy nilly anyway; at
least for more complex programs anyway. In fact, it would be safer to
have type checking when you want to do something like this. I currently
needed to change a number parameter to a string parameter (found out
order_no wasn't just numbers as specs had specified). Of course this
parameter was being used in a great many places. Changing it was a bit
scary because we had to make sure it wasn't being treated as a number
anywhere throughout the code. Yes good coverage with unit tests would
have helped but unfortunately we do not yet have good coverage. TDD is a
quite hard to practice as a beginner.

Cheers,

Huy