is there a safe marshaler?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:32:51 EST 2005

[Irmen de Jong]
> Pickle and marshal are not safe. They can do harmful
> things if fed maliciously constructed data.
> That is a pity, because marshal is fast.
> I need a fast and safe (secure) marshaler.

Hi Irmen,

I'm not necessarily proposing a solution to your problem, but am
interested in your requirement. Is this for pyro?

In the light of pyro, would something JSON be suitable for your need? I
only came across it a week ago (when someone else posted about it here
on c.l.py), and am intrigued by it.

http://json.org

What I find particularly intriguing is the JSON-RPC protocol, which
looks like a nice lightweight alternative to XML-RPC.

http://oss.metaparadigm.com/jsonrpc/

Also interesting is the browser embeddable JSON-RPC client written in
javascript, for which you can see a demo here

http://oss.metaparadigm.com/jsonrpc/demos.html

I thought you might be interested.

regards,

--