string issue

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 4 17:18:41 EST 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
> news:36QMd.103084$Jk5.36127 at lakeread01...

[ ... ]

> This seems much more sensible to me than building a new list with
> everything (a copy), including things you don't want, and then deleting the
> things you don't want (an O(n**2) operation).

Which is presumably why the OP decided to go with the list
comprehension. My main intention was to point out how the code in error
could be fixed while retaining the same structure. You are of course
correct in saying this is far from optimal in performance terms.

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005                      http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden                           http://www.holdenweb.com/