Attaching to a Python Interpreter a la Tcl

Robin Becker robin at SPAMREMOVEjessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 05:51:46 EST 2005

DE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some long time ago, I used to use Tcl/Tk. I had an tcl embedded into my
> app.
>
> The coolest thing was however, I was able to attach to the interpreter
> (built in to my app) via a tcl shell in which I could type in regular
> tcl code which would be interpreted by the interpreter of my
> application. Naturally, it was possible to call tcl functions of my
> applications.
>
> Some kind of rapid RPC.
>
> Is this also possible with python ?
>
> Thanks,

I think you are talking about the tk send command which allows for
communicating with a known app.

I don't believe python comes with such a facility without some coding,
but it has been implemented in various ways using sockets etc etc.

I seem to remember that modern idle uses an rpc technique for debugging.

There are several python projects which address interprocess
communication pyro http://pyro.sourceforge.net/ is a good example.
--
Robin Becker