check if object is number

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 14:47:11 EST 2005

Michael Spencer wrote:
> Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:01:26 -0800, rumours say that Michael Spencer
>> <mahs at telcopartners.com> might have written:
>>
>>> OK - then my entry is:
>>>     assert obj+1 >= 1
>>> :-)
>>
>> So -1 is not a number.
>
> At least not a legal one for Steven's function as I understood it

No, -1 is still a "number" for my particular case.

Basically, I want "numbers" to be valid upper bounds to an increasing
sequence of integers.  This means that "numbers" must be comparable to
integers and must behave properly as upper bounds to integers.  More
formally:

If n is a "number" (in my particular sense), then there exists an
integer i such that i > n, and for all integers i such that i > n and
for all positive integers x, i + x > n.

STeVe