bytecode obfuscation

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:26:09 EST 2005

I am attempting to put together and open source project, but some of
the libraries cannot be open source due to non disclosure agreements.
The non disclosures specifically specify that the implementation of
their api's can only be distributed as object code.  I might be able
to get them to agree to bytecode, but probably only if I can obfuscate
it in some way, or show that it is very difficult to turn the bytecode
back into python source code.

How difficult is it to turn python bytecode into it's original source?
 Is it that much different than java (this is what they will probably
compare it to) ?

Also, I'm curious how much demand their is for this application in the
Python world.  The application replaces online credit card
processors(Verisign, Authorizenet) by providing a platform that
connects directly to the bank networks for credit card processing, and
also provides other features such as recurring billing, reporting,
etc..  Everything except the libraries that actually connect to the
bank networks would be open source, and those libraries aren't
something that you would even want to touch anyways.