Reinstall python 2.3 on OSX 10.3.5?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 3 22:58:27 EST 2005

Jorl Shefner wrote:

>  I use a version of 2.3.4 on my Os X system that I installed myself
> without any apparent loss of functionality.  What extra advantages is
> the Apple installed version supposed to provide?

Currently, Apple uses Python and the CoreGraphics wrappers (which aren't
in the standard distribution) for it's fax software, I believe. If you
don't use the fax software, you probably won't notice a difference while
you continue to use Panther. Of course, Apple may utilize Python more in
future versions of OS X, so I continue to strongly recommend not
deleting the Python that they provide.

Future releases of Python should be easier to install *alongside*
Apple's Python.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu