variable declaration

Elspeth Thorne notelsie at thorne.id.au
Tue Feb 8 23:44:33 EST 2005

Alexander Zatvornitskiy wrote:
 > You may say: give better names for your variables! Ha, I'am often don't
 > understand that they mean! They are written for me by an engineer!

Hang on, though - if you don't understand what you are programming, then
how can you check if it's correct? Regardless of variable names,
declarations, or anything else. And besides which - is/was there
anything preventing you from using different variable names within the
code (which are understandable to you), then  displaying different names
to the user (eg an engineer) when an error occurs?

You'd hit the same issues (precisely the same issues) with any language,
if you flat-out do not know what you are doing - or trying to do.

Admittedly, I have somewhat limited experience, so my word is not
gospel, or even necessarily well-informed.

But it seems to me that declaring your variables would not fix the
underlying problem here - the programmer's lack of understanding of the
task.

Elspeth.