recommended way of generating HTML from Python

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 00:56:20 EST 2005

The problem is a problem of standardization, indeed. There plenty of
recipes to
do the same job, I just would like to use a blessed one (I am teaching
a Python
course and I do not know what to recommend to my students).

FWIW, here is a my version of the recipe (stripped down to the bare
essentials)

.def makeattr(dict_or_list_of_pairs):
.    dic = dict(dict_or_list_of_pairs)
.    return " ".join("%s=%r" % (k, dic[k]) for k in dic)

.class HTMLTag(object):
.    def __getattr__(self, name):
.        def tag(value, **attr):
.            """value can be a string or a sequence of strings."""
.            if hasattr(value, "__iter__"): # is iterable
.                value = " ".join(value)
.            return "<%s %s>%s</%s>\n" % (name, makeattr(attr), value,
name)
.        return tag

# example:
.html = HTMLTag()

.tableheader = ["field1", "field2"]
.tablebody = [["a1", "a2"],

.html_header = [html.tr(html.th(el) for el in tableheader)]
.html_table = [html.tr(html.td(el) for el in row) for row in tablebody]
.print html.table(html_header + html_table)

          Michele Simionato