python and visual C++

Olivier Ravard olivier.ravard at novagrid.com
Wed Feb 2 06:35:08 EST 2005

Hi,

When I tryed to compile a python module using distutils under windows,
and there is an error message if we do not have Microsoft Visual C++ 6
installed.
This is because python have been compiled with MSVC6 and distutils wants it
in order to compile C++ python modules.

One of the reasons why I use python is because this is a free language. But
I need
a non free compilator to compile my C++ module !!! Choosing MSVC to compile
python is a strange choice since there are other free compilators like
MinGW.

I think that using another compilator should be possible in order to compile
python
modules since I use BOOST/MinGW to develop my own modules...

Diffrerent solutions appears :
    - peoples who compile python for windows should use a free compilator
        (MinGW or Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 for example)
    - modify distutils in order to use another compilator

Is there anyone that have experienced this "free" problem and is there a
solution
that I did not note. I don't want to buy MSVC...

Thanks

O.R.