Python versus Perl ?

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sun Feb 6 13:30:43 EST 2005

On 6 Feb 2005 05:19:09 -0800, surfunbear at yahoo.com <surfunbear at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I'm a software engineer, familiar with C++ objected oriented
> development, but have been using Perl because it is great for pattern
> matching, text processing, and automated testing. Our company is really
> fixated on risk managnemt and the only way I can do enough testing
> without working overtime (which some people have ended up doing) is by
> automating my testing. That's what got me started on Perl.
>
>  I've read that many people prefer Python and that it is better than
> Perl. However, I want to ask a few other questions.

I could go on and on, but this essay by Eric Raymond says it better:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882

> 3. Perl is installed on our system and alot of other systems.
> You don't have to make sys admins go out of there way to make it
> available. It's usualy allready there.

Python is in most Linux installations ... but it's much more rare than perl
elsewhere. Yes, this is a reason to write smaller text-processing and
automation hacks in perl.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!