- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Tue Feb 15 04:23:39 EST 2005

Pat wrote:
> Actually, no.  We ran into some issues with Python 2.4 that caused us
> to return to Python 2.3.5.  But I would really like to upgrade to
> Python 2.4.  So I started researching the subject before I did
> anything.
>
> If you are telling me that minGW can compile extensions that are
> compatible with the Python 2.4 that uses msvcr71.dll, then that is good
> news indeed.  Is there anything that needs to be configured or patched
> to make this happen?  And how does minGW know which dll to link?  What
> if I have both versions of Python installed - 2.3.5 and 2.4?  Is there
> an easy way to detect this and switch between the two dlls?
>
> If I'm asking questions already answered elsewhere, I'd love a link to
> that resource, if you have it.

I use MinGW myself to compile extensions for Python 2.3.x so you should
have no problems there. And it seems like from the rest of the thread
that it works for Python 2.4 as well.
But please just download it, try it out, and report any problems in a
separate thread here - I'm sure you'll find people more than willing to
help. The actual error messages etc will yield more valuable discussion
than any speculation now - or you might find it just working

David