variable declaration

Eric Pederson whereU at now.com
Wed Feb 9 00:58:06 EST 2005

Arthur artfully argued:

> What if:
>
> There was a well conducted market survey conclusive to the effect that
> adding optional strict variable declaration would, in the longer run,
> increase Python's market share dramatically.

It's always good to examine one's objectives and motives.  I am an enthusiast for marketing Python, but why?  Would I get something out of Python being the language du jour?  If everyone starts using Python when I am an old hand with the language, will it elevate me?  Is a world where people use a programming language called "Python" necessarily a better world?

For me the answer to those questions is no.

So what would I like?

Just the option to use Python when and where it suits me and my tasks  - and the continued excellent quality development and maintenance of Python and Python libraries.

> It just would.

Right!

All the cool kids (and if you want to be popular you need to):

    smoke/smoke dope/get tatoo'd/fight/climb the water tower/get pierced/get drunk/call their girlsfriends a b!#ch/shop lift/ditch school/put their fingers into an electrical outlet

Declare variables?

Hey, what's one more compromise to get popular?!

(I shudder thinking where that slippery slope leads)

[Nothing above is meant to imply I haven't done stupid things; rather perhaps that I've already done more than enough to know better; and, by the way, I'm still not "popular".  I'd hope GvR and the crew "keep Python Python"]

Eric Pederson
http://www.songzilla.blogspot.com