OT: why are LAMP sites slow?

aurora aurora00 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:17:06 EST 2005

Slow compares to what? For a large commerical site with bigger budget,
better infrastructure, better implementation, it is not surprising that
they come out ahead compares to hobbyist sites.

Putting implementation aside, is LAMP inherently performing worst than
commerical alternatives like IIS, ColdFusion, Sun ONE or DB2? Sounds like
that's your perposition.

I don't know if there is any number to support this perposition. Note that
many largest site have open source components in them. Google, Amazon,
Yahoo all run on unix variants. Ebay is the notable exception, which uses
IIS. Can you really say ebay is performing better that amazon (or vice
versa)?

I think the chief factor that a site performing poorly is in the
implementation. It is really easy to throw big money into expensive
software and hardware and come out with a performance dog. Google's
infrastructure relies on a large distributed network of commodity
hardware, not a few expensive boxes. LAMP based infrastructure, if used
right, can support the most demanding applications.