Finding user's home dir

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Feb 3 08:39:52 EST 2005

Miki Tebeka wrote:
>>Hi all, I'm trying to write a multiplatform function that tries to
>>return the actual user home directory.
>
> What's wrong with:
>     from user import home
> which does about what your code does.

:-)

I suspect he simply didn't know about it.  I didn't either...

Nemesis, please use the above recipe instead, as it makes
the more reasonable (IMHO) choice of checking for a HOME
environment variable before trying the expanduser("~")
approach.  This covers folks like me who, though stuck
using Windows, despise the ridiculous Microsoft convention
of "user folders" named like "C:\Documents and Settings\Peter"
and prefer to create sensible folder like c:\users\peter
and set a HOME variable to point to it.  Your approach
ignores our HOME variable.

c:\>python
Python 2.4 (#60, Nov 30 2004, 11:49:19) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
 >>> from user import home
 >>> print home
c:\users\peter

Yay! :-)