- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 14:19:25 EST 2005

It looks like here the only worth words are yours. Didn't
you close this thread?

I will refresh your mind with your own unpolite way:

"""
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
[...]

closing thread
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/f2ae9cdbe16676d1
"""

Anyway, I will add some comments:

> The defined "extra effort" is the effort to provide the patches for the
> main source-code base?
>
> If you can send me an email of how to do this, I would take this effort.
Good for you.

> of course I must first know, that the python-team would accept those
> patches (technical applicability provided).
There is no guaranty. Did you forget the reply from Tim Peters:

 > [...] A problem is that a
 > patch won't get reviewed unless a volunteer does a review, and we've
 > got an increasing backlog of unreviewed patches because of that.  The
 > most effective way for a person P to get their patch reviewed now is
 > for P to volunteer to review 5 other patches first.  There are a few
 > Python developers who have promised, in return, to review P's patch
 > then.
So, you will have to review some patches first.

 >Ilias> Now, can you please tell me the process I have to follow to
 >Ilias> suggest the following (to the PSF or to the programmers or to
 >Ilias> the decision takers),possibly to get at least a vote on it:

 >Tim> No such thing will happen -- forget that.  For MinGW to be
 >Tim> supported forever, it's necessary and sufficient that a specific
 >Tim> person volunteer to support MinGW forever.  If that person goes
 >Tim> away, so does the support they provided; it's the same story for
 >Tim> Cygwin, and even for Linux and native Windows.
So, it is not just making the patch. You will have to compromise to
support it and not just go away.

Regards,
Josef