PyQt and Python 2.4 - also WinXP LnF?

Simon John simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 21:44:31 EST 2005

After quite a while of wxPython I'm getting back into PyQt, mainly due
to the announcement by Trolltech that they will make a GPL version of
Qt4 for Windows (and Phil-T said he will make a PyQt to go with it
eventually!)

I'm currently using PyQt 3.12 that comes with the BlackAdder demo, it
seems to work fine with Python 2.3.5 except that it doesn't support the
WinXP look'n'feel, the QStyle "WindowsXP" isn't included, and using a
manifest file doesn't seem to fix this.

Does anyone know if the latest PyQt (3.13?) is built with this support?
I thought this had been supported since 3.10 or earlier, is it just the
BlackAdder build that's "broken"?

I'm writing an XMMS remote control program, so it will be GPL when
released (if it's ever good enough to release!) so I'm looking at
buying the commercial PyQt3 or BlackAdder whilst waiting for the GPL
PyQt4

Can I use the commercial PyQt without a commercial Qt - I guess I could
as long as I don't distribute the qt-mt333.dll? I have no use for Qt
itself, not interested in C++, so it seems a bit much to have to buy a
license just for a DLL!

Also, would I have to build it all myself or does Riverbank/TheKompany
provide binaries like PyQt 3.13 for Python 2.4, as I don't have Visual
Studio I can't build it myself.

OK, I'm off to check on my build of PyQt on my Fedora2/Python 2.4
machine ;-)